Saturday, November 21, 2015

Space Shuttle Discovery


The Space Shuttle Discovery at the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum

Earlier this fall I had the opportunity to visit the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, Virginia. Although I had visited this wing of the National Air and Space Museum several years ago my primary reason for this visit was to view the space shuttle Discovery- now on permanent display. Below are photos of the Discovery.

Detail of the OMS pods














*     *     *     *     *     *

 The new wave in modeling is 3D printing. I have been following this for more than a year and finally purchased my first 3D printed model; a 1/48 scale Gemini EVA astronaut to go with my same-scaled Revell Gemini. Shapeways 1/48 Gemini Astronaut EVA 

The Gemini astronaut is designed by Max Grueter and he has a shop under the Shapeways website. With no prior 3D experience I was quite pleased with my 1/48 astronaut. It was printed in a highly detailed clear resin(?). 

The Shapeways 3D printed 1/48 scale Gemini EVA astronaut with jet gun and camera.
 
The Shapeways Gemini astronaut with the Revell 1/48 scale Gemini-wow!!!
Grueter offers a wide range of 3D astronaut figures in many scales at reasonable prices! Check him out!




No comments:

Post a Comment