Monday, January 5, 2015

1/144 Airfix Saturn V with New Ware Detail Set: Part One

Happy New Year space model fans! I apologize for the gap between this post and the last but, I'm back for 2015! The main project that I am currently working on is a "tricked-out" 1/144 scale Saturn V. Essentially I am looking at setting up a horizontal display of Saturn for viewing each stage and the engines at the aft ends.  

Recently New Ware Models from the Czech Republic released a series of detail kits for the Airfix Saturn V: Airfix 1/144 Saturn V Detail Set , and  Saturn V Airbrush Mask Set . New Ware has once again scored another great aftermarket offering!  I managed to acquire an Airflix Saturn V Skylab kit that would serve as the basis for my build. I chose the Skylab version because 1) the kit contains parts for a regular Saturn V as well as the Skylab and 2) Apparently this kit did not have the demand and therefore a better price was to be had (I picked one up on Ebay for $30!).

Since I planned on displaying my Saturn horizontally to allow viewing of the separate stages I needed really needed to either scratch-build or purchase additional aftermarket detail set. Martin's Models from Great Britain offers a nice series of details. I chose to go ahead and scratch-build details for the thrust structures of the S-IIC and S-IVB stages.

Below are a few photos of the start of this project.

Kit Box
The New Ware detail set comes in a small box!

Here are some of the New Ware photo-etched details for the S-I stage
A close-up of one of the batted F-1 engines after painting. The detail is exquisite!
Details were added to the upper part of the LOX tank.
Al 5 batted F-1's now mounted to the S-IC thrust structure!
Another view of the S-IC thrust structure with the F-1's.

The J-2 engines for the S-IIC stage. Additional details were added to the engines. These are from the Airfix kit!
Early details on the S-IVB instrument ring. I used parts from the Revell 1/48 Gemini!
More progress shots in my next installment!!!

*    *    *    *    *
New Ware 1/144 Mercury Redstone
 Kit Box
I recently completed a 1/144 scale Mercury/Redstone kit. Again New Ware has scored a nicely detailed kit that makes into a wonderful display! The only issue I had with building this one was that it was tiny!!!! At my age dealing with the small and delicate photo-etch was challenging! Having said that this model makes a beautiful addition to completing out my 1/144 scale manned launch vehicles!
The New Ware Mercury Redstone with an added base.
Check out the exquisite details of the Mercury capsule!
 
 
Early US manned launchers in 1'144 scale: New Ware's Mercury/Redstone and Mercury/Atlas along with the RealSpace Gemini/Titan
 *   *   *   *   *

New Kit Announcements!

   




With the "niche" real spacecraft model market any announcement of new kits is big news! Up first is Dragon Models announcing the  release of a new 1/144 space shuttle kit. This one features clear sections to view interior structures. Details of this kit can be seen here at the Dragon Space Shuttle Kit.
Orion Crew Module (CM) 1:72 3d printed SciFi Vehicles
We're seeing more and more new "garage kits" emerging from the 3D printing Shapeways market. One of particular interest is of various scale kits of the Orion Crew Module that can be seen here: Shapeways 1/72 Orion Crew Module Kit.


*    *    *    *    *
That's it for now!



















2 comments:

  1. Nice job. I have an airfix saturn v model and bought the new wares detail set for it. I am new to this and the directions are a little confusing to me. Am I suppose to cut off all of the protruding engine mounts to affix the new housings. And what is the metal template used for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment!
    If you are new to aftermarket kits there are a couple of things you will need to know. 1) Aftermarket detail sets (particularly by New Ware) usually come in two main types of material: resin and photoetch sheets. You will need specialized hobby tools to work with those materials. For the resin you will need a razor saw to cut the parts from the pour-plugs. There are 2 primary types of razor saws; 1) by Exacto and 2) model railroad snap-saw.
    I like the Exacto for fine cutting.

    Secondly, for photo-etch parts you will need a small pair of sharp scissors. The scissors I use for cutting came from a fabric store. You will need the scissors to remove PE parts from their trees. Be careful when working with Photoetch materials as they can easily cut your fingers!

    Thirdly, get a good pair of tweezers for handling the small parts!

    I love New Ware detail kits but you might also want to use a hobby magnifying glass to help with working on the tiny parts. At 1/144 scale there are some really small parts!

    Finally, you will need to use cyanoacrylate (Superglue) based glue to connect both the resin and PE parts to the model. I prefer the gel version over the regular.

    Hope that helps! Good luck with your Saturn 5!

    ReplyDelete