Tuesday, July 16, 2019

The Apollo Moon-landing at 50!

The Apollo 11 crew: L-R- CDR Neil Armstrong, CMP Michael Collins, and LMP Buzz Aldrin

50 years ago this day, July 16, 1969, the Apollo 11 lunar landing mission left Earth for humanities first landing of a human on the Moon! For me witnessing this historical event has left its indelible mark on my life! I still recall the emotions and wonder of watching Neil Armstrong take that giant leap on to the lunar surface on television. At that time I fully anticipated decades of lunar exploration and to realize the visions of the 1968 film: '2001: A Space Odyssey '. Sadly in just 3 short years the age of human lunar exploration by the United States was over.

The "space race" was the back drop of my formative years. I used to write weekly letters to various NASA centers for press packets and lithographs of Projects Gemini and Apollo. I still hold those publications 50 years later! Building scale models of the space program was my way of feeling a part this great adventure! I must have a dozen of Revell's classic 1/96, 'Apollo 11: Columbia and Eagle' kit. I even built a plaster-of-Paris  lunar surface to land my Eagle.

Revell's classic 1:96 scale model kit of Apollo 11.
  Even though this kit is based on the earlier Apollo "block I" design it's popularity remains 50 years later in recent re-issues. Below is one of those reissues built up!

My 1:96 Apollo 11 model. 
A close up of the Eagle. 
I utilized Real Space Models 1:96 Apollo block 2 detail set. 

Another favorite kit was Revell's 1967 issue of a (albeit block I version) 1:48 scale Apollo Command/Service and Lunar Modules.

Another of my favorite Apollo-era kits from 1967!

A recent build-up from an original 1967 kit.
This kit featured a scale SLA to provide a display option of the upper stage of the Saturn 5. The LM featured retractable legs. The Apollo service module also featured an optional display of the interior.


Over the years I have had the opportunity to see the original Apollo 11 CM 'Columbia'. The first was in the fall of 1970 when it was on display at the Kentucky State Capitol. The second time was in the early 2000's at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC.

A 2004 photo of the Apollo 11 Command Module at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.
The Apollo 11 command module is current on "Destination Moon" tour of various science centers around the United States. It's final stop will be Destination Moon Exhibit at the Cincinnati Science Museum

*     *     *     *
 In the end, I remain hopeful that I will once again see humans walking on the moon! Time will only tell!!!



The next installment will feature a close up of the Gemini 11 spacecraft which is on display at the California Science Museum. Until then, Ad Astra!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment